- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 2 Tbl.Butter
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, diced 1/4"
- 1/2 cup Green Bell pepper, diced 1/4"
- 1-1/2 tsp. Fresh Garlic, minced
- 3 ea.Thick Corn Tortillas, 6” Taco Size
- 1-1/2 tsp. Chile Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Coarse Salt
- 3/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Thick Tortilla Chips, crushed into 1/8” crumbs (can be done in food processor)
- 3-1/2 qts. Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 4-1/2 tsp. Tomato Paste
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepot set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, peppers and minced garlic into the pot and cook until they begin to lightly caramelize.
- Finely chop the corn tortillas into 1/8" pieces, add into the pot and cook until golden brown.
- Add the chile powder, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper into the pot and cook until the spices become aromatic.
- Add the flour into the pot and cook (4 - 5 mins.).
- Add the chicken broth, canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook until the tortillas are tender (10 - 15 mins.). Reduce to 2-1/2 quarts.
- Blend until smooth using an immersion blender or blend in batches with regular blender.